Interesting experience!!

I did a finance interpretation a couple days ago, a bank's AGM, and to be honest, I was quite nervous the week before it because I haven't done such a serious finance job before, so I was really preparing hard for it, and read the annual report to get familiar with the terms and numbers and stuff.

And finally the day came, and of course I dressed nicely and arrived early so as to get used to the place. After about 15mins, the shareholders started to arrive, and the staff introduced me to the company secretary, it's a guy. And he told me I just need to interpret during the Q & A session and the AGM, he got the English sorted.

So I was sitting there in the front role, holding the mic while the AGM was in process. And it lasted for about half and hour, everything was very routine, and the shareholders who actually stood up were appointed beforehand to second the proposal by the chairman.

And at the end, the secretary didn't really ask the floor if they had any questions to ask, and I think the Q & A session was actually non-existent. And then the staff came to me and said "it's done, you may go". I was in a bit of a shock, although I didn't mind at all not needing to talk and receiving my pay :P. So I took a picture of the panel (sorry, not too convenient to post up here), and then said bye to the secretary and left.

I saw quite a couple of the elderly shareholders holding a nice pack of food with a box drink when leaving the building, I think most of them went there for the food afterwards.
I was at least expecting ONE question from the floor, um, a bit disappointing not being able to use my skills at the event. Well, it's quite a good experience still. :D

Email HK Interpreter - Louise

No comments: